Multimedia Resources - Web Center
See also Video / Audio / Multimedia on Ohlone College Websites in the Web Style Guide.
Multimedia includes images, animated graphics, video, and audio. See Graphics for resources related specifically to graphics and images. Multimedia requiring server-side programs (such as RealServer) are not permitted on the Ohlone College website.
Consider your audience when you include multimedia on your website: Are the computers used by your audience powerful enough to accurately display the multimedia? Will they need a plug-in for their browser? (If so, you'll need to say so and provide a link to where they can download the plug-in.) Review the requirements for multimedia in the Web Style Guide - all multimedia must been those standards.
Copyright and Multimedia Law
From the Office of Academic Affairs, Faculty FAQs:
Q. Who is responsible for copyright permissions?
You are. The forms for requesting permission are available from the Mailroom and from the Dean's Administrative Secretary. The permission must be obtained before duplicating can make copies of the material. Please plan ahead. If you need additional help regarding out of print books or publisher information, please contact the Director of the Ohlone College Bookstore.
- UCLA Online Institute for Cyberspace Law and Policy - The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (article)
- University of Texas - Crash Course in Copyright (article)
- Timestream - Intellectual Property Law Primer for Multimedia Developers (article)
- Jakob Nielsen - UseIt.com - Guidelines for Multimedia on the Web (article)
- Web Monkey - Adam's Multimedia Tutorial (tutorial)
- Northwestern University - Multimedia and Authoring Resources on the Internet (resource)
Audio / Sound
- WDVL - Audio for the Worldwide Web (tutorial)
- Audio on the Internet (article)
- Northwestern University - Digital Audio Sounds Resources (resource)
- RoyaltyFreeMusic.com - library of royalty-free music
- AccessBoard.gov - Guide to the Section 508 Standards for Electronic and Information Technology: Video and Multimedia Products (resource)
- Northwestern University - Digital Video Resources (resource)
- TubeChop - easily chop a funny or interesting section from any YouTube video and share it (resource)
Multimedia Software Tools
- TechSmith - Camtasia - "[C]reates videos of on-screen activity from any application, so you can easily show people how to use software and web sites."
- Adobe - Flash, Photoshop, ImageReady, Illustrator, Fireworks, Director, LiveMotion, more
- Apple - QuickTime
- Microsoft - Windows Media Player
- Real - Real Player